Sunday, April 17, 2011

develop.

The only way a person can grow is through a challenge, through a change. Sometimes the change is something small, like a friend moving or starting a new hobby. There are times, however, where the entire world seems to throw itself on its head and scream, demanding a dramatic paradigm shift that would have never happened otherwise. That, my friends, is how this semester has been. One day, I was just doing my thing, and everything flipped. No warning, no way to fight it. It just, happened. They say that if you wear glasses that make the world appear upside down, it takes three days for your eyes to adjust. I'm here to tell you, it takes three months. Three long, difficult months where you have to get used to walking on the ceiling and reaching for the light switch in a different place and everyone in your life looking different than they ever have before. And yet, to them, nothing changed. No one notices the difference, they just adjust over night and move on. While you're stuck in that three month transition, be warned. It's a life changing experience, whether you wanted your life changed or not. 

Back in the day, when a person took a photograph, they had to develop it from a negative. The picture that looked bizarre, even unrealistic, that turned into a work of art. Of course, you can take that as a metaphor and it can be religious, or inspirational, or something that just makes you look at your day a little differently. But to me, it's just a statement of fact. That's how life is, sure. One day at a time, I take a picture. A moment, a memory, a friend that I love. Each time I do, I wonder. All of us are in a different place, in life, or in our thoughts. Yet we are all in the same place. Here I am, at BYU, and I am finishing with finals. So what? So is every other student on campus. But at the same time, HERE I AM. I MADE it to finals. I finished my hardest one, and I am looking to make it a triumphant finish. I want to conquer the world this week, starting today. That is NOT where each student on campus is. Some are weary, some have bleak outlooks on the rest of this week. The choice to conquer is mine. It seems like that should be incredibly important, but I can't really put to words why it is. Or why it should be. 

My name is Kayla Ludlow. I am 6'1" tall, I weigh more than I would like. I have blue eyes and brown hair. I am athletic, I am ambitious, and I am strong. I had a piece of toast and an egg for breakfast. I am completely uncommon. However, I am also entirely unique. 

It's interesting to see the change, from during my three month transition to now. I honestly can't wait to see the rest of the growth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment